The 10 top tips for running promotionsJune 21, 2018
Running a successful promotion takes more work than just putting an ad on Facebook.
Ultimately, a successful promotion motivates your target market/audience to engage with you and do ‘something’ because it’s in their best interest.
Planning on running a promotion? Be sure to check out my top tips before you start…
- Don’t try and run a promotion without getting the right advice, it can land you in hot water legally and with the ACCC. Rules are changing all the time
- Never run a promotion without Terms and Conditions, it protects you the Promoter and sets the guidelines for those entering.
- If you run a game of skill (25 words or less) 90% of people won’t bother to enter. Think about running a game of chance.
- Permits aren’t scary or expensive and they don’t take very long to obtain. Consider running a game of chance draw promotion and you will significantly increase the number of people entering.
- People can’t enter a promotion if they can’t find it. Be sure to factor in communications around your promotion.
- People want to believe they have a chance to win. One prize is not enough, 3 are good, 5 are too many.
- Prizes need to be aspirational and relevant to your audience. Offering a prize that involves choice will be more appealing to your audience, i.e. a travel voucher vs. a trip to Disneyland.
- Set your promotional objectives at the outset of the campaign. Promotional methods will vary depending on whether you are aiming to generate awareness or trial, etc.
- Think about what you want to do with the data that you generate from your promotion. Make sure those who enter opt in for future marketing (this can be covered in your Terms and Conditions).
- Get a great agency to help you! There are specialist Brand Activation agencies that are experts in this space and are dedicated to creating campaigns that deliver on brand objectives – like us at April5 Agency!
What exactly is Brand Activation?
Brand Activation is a marketing discipline, and is a relatively new term in the industry. Brand Activation campaigns turn ideas into actions and engage with consumers. In simple terms, the key aim of these sorts of campaigns is to get consumers to act. It’s about bringing brands to life via experiences and forming long-term emotional connections.
What are some of the strategies that companies are employing?
Brand Activation campaigns take many forms and may involve some, or all of the following:
- Consumer promotions
- Experiential Marketing
- Digital campaigns
- Shopper Marketing
- Sampling campaigns
Best practice Brand Activation is strategically-led and delivers measurable results, with a focus on ROI (Return On Investment).